Sunday, September 30, 2007

Mean Green Cleaning Machine

Well we're in week 8 and I find myself becoming more stressed about school and work everyday. One way that I am able to reduce my stress is to clean my house. So this week I went to Wild Oats and bought non toxic cleaners and did a lot of cleaning.

Although I love the smell of bleach the reality of the toxins that harm the body when a product is used is a scary thought. I bought Seventh Generation bathroom cleaner and liquid dish soap at Wild Oats and was impressed of the cleaners. The bathroom cleaner smelt fresh and my eyes and lungs didn't burn from being in the bathroom and breathing in all the chemicals. To find these nontoxic cleaners look in your local grocery store.



According to Wild Oats, "Americans generate 1.6 million tons of waste each year from common household products that contain potentially hazardous ingredients. And, of the 85,000 chemicals used in household cleaners today, nearly 90% haven’t been tested for safety."

Somethings that a consumer can look for when finding environmental and health friendly cleaners are nontoxic, biodegradable and/or chlorine-free. Instead of using bleach, oxygenated products are a good alternatives. According to Natural Choices, they are safer than chlorine bleach however they don't work as quickly they are still effective.

According to Simple Pure Clean, "Chlorinated materials can form orgono-chloride compounds, which in turn are stored in the fat cells and can enter mother's milk."

There are also cleaning products that you can make at home. Care2 provides recipes for cleaning such as creamy soft scrubber, oven cleaner and furniture polish to just name a few.
Some of the supplies needed for these cleaners are:
  • baking soda
  • washing soda
  • white distilled vinegar
  • liquid soap or detergent
Although I haven't made any cleaning products at home they seem very interesting and I will have to do that soon!

Well come back next week to see what I try out!

1 comment:

Stffny said...

You love the smell of bleach? Ew!