Sunday, September 23, 2007

Fruits and Veggies oh my!

Well I went raw. Well sort of. For a week and a half I ate mostly raw foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am not going to lie, I cheated. On my week and a half adventure I learned a lot about fruits and veggies and how much processed foods I eat.

According to RAWGURU The raw diet consists of eating only raw fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds and seaweed. Also nothing is heated above 116 degrees F.

I found recipes at Living and Raw Foods, I site to share raw recipes with others. I tried a few, one of them was Lettuce Wraps




"Raw is undoubtedly the best way to go" said Peggy Raisglid, owner of Lovin' Spoonfuls.

Raisglid has been a vegan since August 14 1984 and tired the raw diet. According to Raisglid eating raw was the way our bodies were designed.

Although it was boring and time consuming, I had tons of energy and was bouncing out of bed, said Raisglid.

According to ivillage.co.uk some of the health benefits to going raw are:
  • increased energy levels
  • improved appearance of skin
  • improved digestion
  • weight loss
  • reduced risk of heart disease
"The studies that have been done linking fats to high cancer rates, heart attacks, kidney failure, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, angina, cardiovascular disease and all of the other diseases that clog up the blood and the arteries have been done with cooked fats. Obesity is linked to a high cooked fat diet" according to Alissa Cohen.

When I went to Wild Oats for some food I found Raw Revolution bars that were completely raw. I was scared to try them at first but they were actually tasty. These would be easy for someone who is on the go and didn't have time to prepare anything before hand.

Since I didn't follow the diet completely I didn't see all the benefits, I did notice an increase in energy. Also I lost 5 lbs! I can't complain about that! Although I don't think I will ever go completely raw, I think I am going to go vegetarian. So maybe I got something out of trying and going raw.

2 comments:

Drink your way to weight loss said...

If you suffer from high cholesterol and are tired of taking medication for it with not the best results, I have found the product for you. Monavie is an all fruit juice made up of 19 fruits including the ACAI berry, which is said to be the #1 superfood in the world, by world renowned Dr. Perricone. There is 30 times the antioxidant in a daily serving of the juice (2oz) than in a glass of red wine. In addition to its high antioxidant content, Acai is rich in essential fatty acids (EFA's).A large body of research indicates that EFA's help reduce harmful LDL cholesterol while supporting levels of the beneficial HDL cholesterol which can lead to better blood circulation. My cholesterol and those of some of my family members and friends is now in the normal range and we feel great! To learn more:http://www.mymonavie m/richardfamily or garmonavie@aol.com

Kristen's Raw said...

Hi! I'm in Scottsdale, not far from you :) That's great that you tried some Raw. As I like to say, it never hurts anyone to add some more fruits and veggies to their diets, right? And, now, with Raw as its own cuisine, the fruits and veggies are awesome! I have some easy Raw vegan recipes posted on my blog that you might enjoy. Come on over and check them out.

Cheers!

Kristen Suzanne
-------
www.KristensRaw.blogspot.com